The adaptation/renovation of the old water supply building in Split (Ulica Domovinskog rata 9, 21000 Split) into an exhibition space has been completed.
On the ground floor of the renovated neoclassical waterworks building, on International Museum Day, May 18, 2021, the exhibition ‘Water Museum in Split’ will open.
The exhibition will show the historical development of the water supply system in Split through museum materials and information boards. The water supply building was built in 1879 as part of the renovation of Diocletian's aqueduct, according to a design by Jakov Antonelli. It was built of white stone from the island of Brač and decorated with stone elements made by the renowned stonemason company Dall’Ara from Milan, in which the Split Monumental Fountain was also carved. In the central upper part of the front of the building, there is a medallion with the only depiction of Emperor Diocletian in Split.
When the water pumping station in Kopilica was built in 1931, the old water supply building lost its original function and was used until recently as a business venue where citizens paid their water bills. The idea to turn this space into an exhibition space has been around for a long time. On the occasion of the 100th anniversary of the renovation of Diocletian's aqueduct in 1980, Duško Kečkemet publicly pledged the idea to repurpose the old building of the Split waterworks for cultural purposes.
The exhibition is open from May 18, 2021, on weekdays twice from 9:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m., and from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m., on Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
In compliance with the epidemiological measures, admission to the exhibition is free.